Twistleton Scar Walk, Yorkshire, with map & photos.

A helpful guide to walking to Twistleton Scar End, near Ingleton, with map & photos. 

Some highlights from my quick stroll up to Twistelton Scar End:

Twistleton scar, photo, walk, ingleton, yorkshire dales
Most photos you see online of Twistleton Scar are off the moody, desolate, cloudy nature - heres a rare one with blue sky!


This was a really quick walk - with the sole aim of checking out Twistleton Scar End for (future) photo opportunities! I was in the area with not much time to spare - and as it was a really nice afternoon - I thought I might as well check the place out!

For those looking for a longer walk in this area have a look at this route www.daleswalks.co.uk/walks/twistleton- my walk was done in an hour!

So why a quick walk at Twistleton Scar? I'd previously in the week been browsing around the web for photographic places of interest in the yorkshire dales, and came across some stunning photos of what i found out to be Twistleton Scar End. (I saved off some of these beautiful images which can be found on another blog post of mine containing my favourite images of Twistleton Scar End here ( Best Nature Landscape Photos ) My favourite images were taken in the golden hour around sunset -  and around november time when the sunset is in the right place behind the trees - from what I can gather from www.suncalc.net anyway!)

Now I was in the area on a summer day with clear blue skies - so my photos were going to be of a different mood! But i done this walk not with the aim of taking some great moody photos - but just more to enjoy a walk in the sun, scope the place out and see exactly what it was like up there! With the aim to one day return when I have more time on my hands.


For the photographers out there looking for info on Twistleton Scar, trees and rock formations:

For the photographers searching the web looking for info on Twistleton Scar and who come across this blog - i would recommend doing a similar walk - as you can park quite near the sumit of Twistleton Scar End - get up there quickly and take your photos (it seems the best, most weathered and windied trees are right on the edge of Twistleton Scar End as you get onto it from the direction I took).

There are actually 2 spots you can park at, and the location mentioned at the end of this blog post actually offers more space for cars, and I would recommend there if you go to Twistelton Scar on a busy day.

My quick walk up Twistleton Scar:

On this occasion I drove my car from Ingleton on a single track road called Oddies Lane and then onto the Roman Road. Now there is not much space to park on this road - maybe space for 2/3 cars on the grass verge. See map below where I parked (On the Roman Road near where it says Beezleys). To others unfamiliar with this area I would recommend the parking location mentioned at the foot of this blog post (parking location 2) - as there are lots more potential parking spaces.

map of quick twistleton scar walk, ingleton, yorkshire dales


From my parking spot it was simply through the gate and about 500m along a well marked path up to twistleton scar end! Straight away at the edge of the scar you notice the weathered limestone pavement rock formations and the odd withered tree uniquely shaped by the wind scattered around and perched on rock edges. These trees and unique rock patterns are what the photographers come for - so I got my camera out and just wondered around the immediate area getting a feel for the place. Twistleton Scar is in-itself quite a big area - and there is a lot to explore so I would love to come back here and do a much longer walk right across the scar - and recommend it to others as this area is a unique and beautiful place.

Now for some photos documenting my Twistleton Scar Walk:





You can see the start of Twistleton Scar end from my parking spot - although the path does snake round a bit and its not straight up. (As you can see there are large boulders on the grass verge here - so actual spaces to fit a car are limited - I would recommend parking location 2 - mentioned further down the post).

There you go - Twistleton Scar end is 1/4 mile walk!


twistleton scar end walk, ingleton, yorkshire dales





twistleton scar end tree, ingleton, yorkshire dales
The first trees you come across - and maybe the most wind weathered ones!

twistleton scar end tree, ingleton, yorkshire dales







twistleton scar end, ingleton, yorkshire dales






Twistelton Scar end - Parking Location 2

Twistleton Scar End walk, Ingleton, parking spot, car, trees, best place to park, map, route
Another parking spot shown by the red arrow. This parking spot offers more spaces than the spot mentioned higher up the blog. If going in the car - from Thornton-in-Lonsdale head up Thornton Lane. (The blue & green arrows on the map show the most popular trees that are photographed on Twistleton Scar End)

Twistleton Scar End walk, Ingleton, parking spot, car, trees, best place to park, map, route
Here is a screenshot from Google maps showing the ideal place to park the car and walk up to Twistleton Scar end. This spot is also shown on the map above where the red arrow is.

Blog Update: Coordinates of 2 parking locations.

Since this blog post was created I have had enquiries about the exact map coordinates of the 2 parking locations. I personally find the Ordnance Survey map feature on Bing.com very useful, and below are a couple of screen-shots from there - showing the 2 parking spots. The 2nd parking spot below, relating to the street view photo just above this text is the recommend parking spot.


Coordinates and location for parking spot 1, for quick access to Twistelton Scar end
Coordinates and location for parking spot 1 (the parking spot I used on this occasion to take my photos), for quick access to Twistelton Scar end

Coordinates and location for parking spot 2, for quick access to Twistelton Scar end. This is my recommended parking spot as there are more spaces to park your car.



So there you go, I hope this blog post has proved useful in shedding some light on how to do a quick walk up Twistleton Scar End, and where exactly to park the car to give you the shortest and quickest walk, which every photographer who has a load of gear to carry might appreciate :-). I'm looking forward to visiting the area again in future to do some longer walks and also in different conditions when the (bad...) weather gives it a whole new atmosphere - and with these parking spots it means I can do it quite quickly if the weather happens to be freezing and raining! I also plan to do a walk that takes in Ingleton Falls (Thornton Force, Pecca Falls, Twistelton Scar End, Beezley Falls and Snow Falls) Watch this space!

If you have any further questions, or anything isn't clear - feel free to post a comment and I'll try to help. I do hope this blog post does inspire you to visit the area, as it's a very unique landscape and a photographers dream. If you do take some pics - post a comment and send some links - it would be great to see the different conditions and compositions people come up with :)

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions - just post a comment and I'll try and answer. 
Blog Post by Stuart Hodgson, 'The Hiking Photographer'