05/01/2011

My adventures in the US: Yosemite National Park, Grand Canyon & Sedona

Outdoor adventures in the US: 

Tunnel View Yosemite National Park Yosmite weather camping San Francisco Waterfall-upper-falls Walk Hike Trip travel hotel
A bucket list scene - Tunnel View at Yosemite National Park - what an awesome and majestic place


I'm from the UK, and whilst I love the natural landscapes the the UK has to offer - such as the Lake District and the remote wilds of Scotland, I've always has a fascination with the diversity of landscapes around the world and the grandeur that other countries have, and the US must be right up there. I was lucky to spend a few weeks one winter travelling around the west coast of the US in California and also a bit of time in Arizona. It was a whistle stop Road Trip - only getting a chance to spend a day at a time in various places - but I just had to make the effort to visit some areas of natural outstanding beauty that had been on my bucket list for some time.

Yosemite National Park, California

I happened to spend a few days in San Francisco, and was aware that Yosemite National Park was fairly near-by and a few hours drive away - so I just had to make the effort to plan to visit this awesome place, but what had to be only a day trip here. (For any tourists reading this there are organised coach trips to Yosemite from San Fran or you could rent a car and do it yourself). 

Years ago I had seen some stunning images online of what I later found out to be Yosemite National Park, and specifically 'Tunnel View'. So to get chance to stand here in person was a dream come true and one of the best views I have ever seen!

Yosemite National Park Yosmite weather camping San Francisco Waterfall-upper-falls Walk Hike Trip travel hotel
'Tunnel View' behind me - and the realisation of a bucket list moment! What an awesome view!

Tunnel View Yosemite National Park Yosmite weather camping San Francisco Waterfall-upper-falls Walk Hike Trip travel hotel
A more composed picture  - Tunnel View at Yosemite National Park - what a majestic place


After spending some time at Tunnel View, I then had chance to complete some short, gentle walks around the lower area to visit Yosemite Falls, which is another amazing sight.

Yosemite National Park Yosmite weather camping San Francisco Waterfall-upper-falls Walk Hike Trip travel hotel
Yosemite Falls

Yosemite National Park Yosmite weather camping San Francisco Waterfall-upper-falls Walk Hike Trip travel hotel
A clearly marked path to the upper falls - but unfortunately my time hear was short so I just remained at ground level.

Yosemite National Park Yosmite weather camping San Francisco Waterfall-upper-falls Walk Hike Trip travel hotel
Another beautiful scene at Lower Yosemite Falls.

Yosemite National Park Yosmite weather camping San Francisco Waterfall-upper-falls Walk Hike Trip travel hotel
With snow on the ground and the skies clear and the air fresh, it made for a stunning  short walk around Yosemite Valley close to the visitor centre.

Yosemite National Park Yosmite weather camping San Francisco Waterfall-upper-falls Walk Hike Trip travel hotel
As the sunlight faded - the air cooled and mist began to form in the Valley - producing incredible scenes.

Unfortunately I only had 1 day in Yosemite to spend as a tourist and I had to leave as the sun set - but I would have loved to have spent lots of time in this area, as there is so much to explore, not just in Yosemite - but the wider Sierra Nevada. Since returning home, I dream of returning to Yosemite and as a consequence of watching the film, Mile, Mile and a Half, I have now added the John Muir Trail to my bucket list to take the time and discover the more remote parts of the Sierra Nevada.

The John Muir trail in the Sierra Nevada - from Yosemite Valley to Mt. Whitney. After seeing this on the film Mile, Mile & a Half - it's now on the bucket list!


Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona


Most people are aware of the Grand Canyon, and some are lucky enough to have visited. On my US road-trip I got chance to visit the area of it around Navajo Point in Winter. Photos of the place never get across the sheer scale of the place - it truly is breathtaking and monumental in scale. If you get chance to visit the place - grasp it with both hands! What a place!

The Grand Canyon from Navajo Point in winter.

Another view of the Grand Canyon from Navajo Point in winter.

Just to prove I was there :) I didnt really have the most appropriate footwear on - so it was a case of edging bit by bit to the edge!

Sedona, Arizona

I was introduced to the beauty of Sedona by my American friend. Being from the UK it was not a place I was overly familiar with, as it doesn't have the popularity of other places in the US - but I'm glad my friend insisted I visit the area as the landscapes here are something special.

Sedona - what a stunning place!

Cathedral Rock at Sedona

So there you go - a rather brief overview of some stunning places and landscapes in the US. I only scratched the surface of the places I visited on my quick road-trips, and I'd love to spend more time in each of these areas in future. I hope the pics inspire you to want to visit them too!



SHARE:
Blog Design Created by pipdig